Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Theatre Review: Then She Fell


Accompanied By: Mike

I'd really wanted experience "Then She Fell" since I'm a huge "Sleep No More" fan and heard lots of great things about this smaller production. I also was very interested to see Immersive Theatre in a different format. Mike bought me tickets for my birthday so we went back in October, but he had accidentally bought tickets for December so we wound up having two sets. My impression after the first visit was that I was really happy that we went, but that I didn't think it would be worth going to again so I asked him to sell the other pair of tickets. He didn't and I am SO glad he didn't! I enjoyed the second visit immensely. Since, it is a smaller space/production, I had assumed that each visitor sees the same scenes, just in a different order so I was very surprised to see that I was very much mistaken and there were entire large spaces of the set that I had never seen/experienced on the first way through.

I really like the contrast that "Then She Fell" offers to "Sleep No More". The main difference is that you are guided through the entire experience and there is little to no direct action required on your part. This is wonderfully relaxing compared to the dog-eat-dog SNM experience. Also, you are usually alone or with only one other audience member and the actor(s) throughout the whole time (there are just 15 audience members per show). This play would be the perfect introduction to immersive theatre for anyone not willing to jump right in to Sleep No More.

No comments:

Post a Comment