Friday, July 27, 2012

Theatre Review: One Man, Two Guvnors


Took my Mom and Grandmother to see One Man, Two Guvnors tonight. We got there early, which is very unusual for me, but I was super glad we did because the band performs pre-show. They set the 60s mood with their boyish charm and matching suits- very early era Beatles-esque.

Not too long into the performance, James Cordon pulls a couple of blokes (see, I'm in the British mood now) from the audience on stage to help him with something. This is where things got weird for me. One of the guys was dressed so ludicrously that I simply could not believe he wasn't a plant. This continued to color my perception of the show as more audience interaction occurred.

Then, I watched the first gentleman talking with his girlfriend and going to the mini-bar during the intermission and I realized that he was 100% genuine. This is also when I realized that James Cordon is in fact such a ridiculously good improviser that my mind just could not accept it. Tony well deserved, Sir.

I was able to relax and enjoy the second act a bit more once I wasn't carefully observing all the audience "plants". It was a classic, slapstick farce- silly and delightful and just a good old fashioned good time. All three generations of my family got a huge kick out of it and it turned out to be the perfect evening out.

No comments:

Post a Comment