Saturday, April 14, 2012

Theatre Reviews: Once


My dear friend Scott was in town and he was eager to see Once after hearing a lot of great things about it. I never watched the movie, which worked well for me as I prefer to see things 'cold'. We got to the Bernard B. Jacobs theatre a bit early for the matinee and considered stalling, but just decided to go ahead and have a seat. This couldn't have worked out any better, since before the show they let you hang out on stage for a while, the case even comes out and has a jam session right next to you. I was pretty excited to be on the Broadway Stage and thought it was my debut, but was corrected by my grandmother who informed me that I went on stage with Old Deuteronomy of Cats way back in the day.

This show was beautiful. Literally, "beautiful" is the best way to describe it from beginning to end. The music, the sets, the story. The only critique I have is that I wish I had seen it in a smaller theatre. It is just so intimate of a story, and so quietly and sweetly told, that I longed for the closeness of a small black box theatre. However, that said, it is amazing how they were able to translate this to the bigger stage.

There is one set and the entire cast is on stage for the entire show as they also double as the entire orchestra. This reminds me of a staging of Sweeney Todd I saw a few months ago, which I absolutely loved. It just furthers your awe as an audience member to realize these people are a quadruple threat- singing, dancing, acting AND they play an instrument. Go, go and be amazed. My only suggestion is not to see it as a matinee on a beautiful sunny day, because you will want to cuddle up with a glass of wine afterwards...

Oh and if you go before May 20th, use code ONTCX327 at BroadwayBox.com for 30%+ off.

No comments:

Post a Comment