Sunday, April 15, 2012

Theatre Review: Newsies


OK, so in case you are wondering, yes, I am in the generation of kids who grew up LOVING Newsies. This is why I was beyond excited to hear that it was finally being brought to the Broadway Stage. Let me just cut to the chase: for the numbers I love from the movie it was everything I had ever dreamed of and more. "King of New York" is one of my favorite numbers, so I was THRILLED that it was turned into a tap number. And not just showy tap-dancing, tap moves that made me go WOW.

Ok, so then there are the parts that are not in the original movie. Yes, Alan Menken turned to his bag of  C-rate fillers to use up the rest of the time. Meh. Also, they changed up the original storyline. Now look, I'm not so much of a purest that I was resistent to any deviation from my beloved original. In fact, my biggest problem with the Disney film adaptations is that I already know the plot so they tend to be a bit boring for me. However, the plot changes where just not that good. No offense to Kara Lindsay who is as pretty and sweet as any Disney Princess.

But no fooling around, Jeremy Jordan MADE this musical. I *shudder* to imagine the alternate universe where Bonnie & Clyde was a success and I didn't get to see his performance as Jack Kelly. And honaorable mention goes to Andrew Keenan-Bolger who is the splitting image of his sister (who we saw last night in Peter and the Starcatcher). Seriously, if it was possible for a guy and a gal to be identical twins, this would be it.

Bottom line: If you like the movie absolutely go (tickets starting at $67), but unfortunately, I'm not sure non-believers will have quite the same take-away.

No comments:

Post a Comment