Friday, August 15, 2014

Theatre Review: Bullets Over Broadway


Pre-Theatre Meal: Blue Fin
Accompanied by: Tracey

Bullets Over Broadway wasn't too high up on my list although I was curious to see Zach Braff's Broadway debut as he had won over my heart as JD on Scrubs. However, these positive feelings were pretty equally balanced against my dislike of Woody Allen (and yes, I mean his work, not his personal life drama). BUT when my friend needed a last quintessential NYC Broadway Musical before moving out of town, this definitely fit the bill so we picked up some TKTS.

In terms of setting the scene with a believable mobster, Vincent Pastore as Nick Valenti was pretty perfect. He's most recognizable as Pussy on The Sopranos which I just finished watching for the first time last month. From there everything continued to be pretty perfect- an amazingly talented group of showgirls - and show guys - all of whom busted out some amazing classic Bway tap dancing. The sets, the costumes, the songs were all Grade A musical entertainment. Everyone in the cast was also amazingly talented. Special shout outs to

  • Brooks Ashmanskas (Warner Purcell) the foppish famous actor with an expansive love of food.
  • Betsy Wolfe (Ellen) who plays the sweet ingeniue for the most part, but then belted it out like nobodies business.
  • Marin Mazzie (Helen) who played the larger than life famous Broadway star to a T. She was stupendous and very familiar, I'm pretty sure I saw her when she played the role of Lady of the Lake. I've definitely seen her when she originated the role of Mother in Ragtime, but that's a very different role.

No comments:

Post a Comment