Saturday, May 31, 2014

Theatre Review: Les Miserables

Playbill: Les Miserables


Pre-Theatre Meal: Marseilles
Accompanied By: Nana & Donna

The second the movie production of Les Miserables was announced I knew that that meant a Broadway revival and that I would be going with my grandmother as it is her all time favorite musical. So when earlier this week she told me she had tickets to go with her friend Donna for Saturday night, I hopped online and snagged a seat. I was torn between a Row C Partial View seat and one a few rows back and to the right for $50 more. Not that I wanted to cheap out on Les Miz, but I liked that the Partial View seat had an unobstructed view of the stage...at least the majority of the stage that wasn't blocked from view. At first when I sat down I thought I had chosen poorly, but the entrance ramp I was sitting next to was used a LOT and made it a semi-immersive theatre experience. I also loved that there were no heads between me and the stage to block my view at all. I wound up loving my Partial View seat completely.

The highlight of the show was hands down Ramin Karimloo who was beyond stunning. After hearing him sing his 1st number in the prologue I literally felt as though I had my admission's worth. He's my favorite Jean Valjean of all time and I don't think he will ever be possible to top. Of course, the entire cast was phenomenal- the best of the best musical theatre actors in the world. His rendition of "Bring Him Home" was a literal show stopper and the action had to pause for the thunderous applause. I almost stood up right then.

Getting to experience this musical reminded me how fortunate I am to live in New York. Getting to sit right up at the stage where I got to hear some of the individual voices of the Ensemble members and was totally blown away- each of them could tear down a house on their own accord. Anyone who gives a hoot about theatre should see this production.


No comments:

Post a Comment