Friday, January 17, 2014

Theatre Review: No Man's Land

Playbill: No Man's Land


Pre-Theatre Meal: db Bistro Moderne
Accompanied By: Mike

I'm a big geek so when I heard legendary actors of stage & screen Ian McKellan & Patrick Stewart where going to be appearing together on Broadway, you better believe I snagged some Row C seats to see my beloved Gandalf and Picard up close. I almost choked while waiting for the show to start and the elderly couple next to me said "Well I don't know who this Stewart fellow is, but we saw this other guy in another play and thought he over-acted". 

I had a traumatic experience reading "Waiting for Godot" in high school (it made me nauseous to read and my English teacher couldn't explain what the point of reading it was to save her life besides for the fact that it was on the curriculum). In light of that, I chose "No Man's Land" which I knew nothing about. While also very abstract, I didn't care because McKellan & Stewart were an absolute delight. I should also mention that Billy Crudup & Shuler Hensley were fantastic. That said, I'm not sure I would really enjoy this play if I wasn't there for the actors, I hate walking out not knowing what it all meant, although it does make for some interesting post-show discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment