Sunday, June 24, 2012

Theatre Review: On A Clear Day You Can See Forever


Oh Harry Connick Jr.- you make me swoon when I listen to your CDs or see you on TV, but seeing you perform in the theatre is a whole new delight. The phrase "like butter" came immediately to mind when he started singing his first song. Hearing the difference between him live vs recording made me wish I could go back in time and hear Dean Martin or Bing Crosby croon in person.

But this wasn't just about HCJ- the entire cast easily held their own with him on stage. In particular I loved Sarah Stiles who I recognized immediately as Kate Monster from Avenue Q! That girl is an adorable powerhouse.

And as for the play itself, well, it's a pretty interesting premise. It's about a psychologist who hypnotizes his patient and uncovers a past life persona and winds up falling in love with her. To make it even more complicated, this production changed the patient to a man while keeping the past life persona a woman. As weird as it sounds, I really enjoyed it, I liked the juxtaposition of a classic romance with modern morality.

No comments:

Post a Comment